Another very special episode of the show, this week featuring special guest star co-host Karl von Randow. We start the show off with a round-table discussion with the dream-team of what must be New Zealand’s top iPhone app developers, talk through how people got started, why they chose that platform, what they’ve been working on, and what it’d take for them to produce apps for other phones. Then after a quick game of Word of the Week we kick off into an incredibly obvious story about a programme that’s found that if you provide girls with free contraception, they don’t get pregnant, dug, then move onto a completely amazing story about a stem cell spraying skin gun (it’s like magic, but I hope it’s legit), a woman put on a terrorist watch list by her asshole husband is stranded in Pakistan for three years, a water powered jet pack (this is a little misleading, though it’s still super cool), the current flavour of IP addresses being pretty much all used up, the Hoover Dam being safe from hackers, sex and booze or sex or booze or booze or friends, Microsoft are burning money in their online exploits, and much much more.
Live show in sunny Wellington? How is this possible!?
There might be a live show, in person in Wellington, with an audience (if you come), at some stage during Webstock (which means that if it happens, it’ll be Webstock attendees only, so I don’t need to confirm it now as everyone will be within earshot). I’m super anxious about the whole thing now, so who knows.
Tell a friend!
Remember how dull your Thursdays were before you discovered Discourse? Just think of the joy you’ll be bringing into the world by sharing it around.
- Discourse Guest: David Frampton, Majic Jungle Software, creator of super successful iPhone games Chopper & Chopper 2.
- Discourse Guest: Layton Duncan, Polar Bear Farm, creator of several popular iPhone apps, New Zealand’s first iPhone developer.
- iPhone development discussion
- Privateer (iTunes App Store)
- Hallokitty (iTunes App Store)
- Mobile Fotos (iTunes App Store)
- J2ME (Wikipedia)
- 8mm App Is Basically Hipstamatic for iPhone Video (Gizmodo)
- Sal’s Authentic New York Pizza
- Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning – if you only ever follow one of my links, make it this one
- New initiative sees fall in teen pregnancy rates (3News)
- The skin gun (Boing Boing)
- Spray Some Skin On (Gamma Squad)
- The skin gun (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Last IP address going, going, gone (Futurity)
- British Border Agent Fired for Putting Wife on Terrorist Watch List (Wired Threatlevel)
- No, Hackers Can’t Open Hoover Dam Floodgates (Wired Threatlevel)
- Chemist won’t face death charge (Stuff)
- Sex or booze? Kiwis prefer relations over Riesling (3News)
- CHART OF THE DAY: Microsoft Incinerates ANOTHER $543 Million Online (Business Insider)
- Water-Powered Jetpack Runs Two Hours on Single Tank (Wired)
- Jetlev Flyer – Monaco (YouTube) – also embedded below
- The Discourse Weekly Show Urban Dictionary Word of the Week
- Having corrections would imply I wasn’t completely perfect. Get real.
Follow us on twitter
The skin gun
RSA Animate – Changing Education Paradigms