Wall-to-wall conspiracy theories on the show this week, they get under your feet worse than tribbles. We also talk about dumb lawsuits, the Queensland floods (if people can’t take a joke, I might very well be stabbed for that), the use and misuse of Star Trek holodecks and replicators, Wikipedia’s birthday, Robyn’s recent breakup with her Secret Boyfriend Christchurch, David Hasselhoff, bad (and extraordinarily good) toilets, the Ron Mueck exhibition you will have missed (which is a damn shame, because that’s some seriously amazing work), diabetic sex therapy (that if we’d known it was about a pair of girls would have gotten even more coverage), Blanket Man, Minecraft, and MMP’s recent popularity boost. And, as always, much, much, much more.
Discourse live show next week!
Tuesday 25th of January a bit after 8pm, come to discourse.co.nz to watch the live streaming video and live chat (we’ll use uStream again, even though some people did have trouble with it last time, try using a different web browser if that happens to you). An audio podcast will be released on the usual schedule, but if you want to see the video the only sure was is to watch it live. (Last time it crashed the stream when we tried to record it.)
Tell a friend!
Remember how dull your Thursdays were before you discovered Discourse? Just think of the joy you’ll be bringing into the world by sharing it around.
- Discourse Special Guest Star, Co-host: Television’s Jose Barbosa, from Media7 and his blog Highly Seasoned Pork Sausage.
- Senior Discourse Culture Commentator and Wellington Correspondent Robyn Gallagher.
- Tokyo Crow (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Discourse Guest: Matthew Dentith, conspiracy theory theorist.
- Norman Kirk poisoning?!
- Breakthrough test proves Phar Lap poisoned
- Maori ancestry traced back to Taiwan (TVNZ)
- Ancient Celtic New Zealand
- Fertile Crescent (Wikipedia)
- How Not to (Re)Write World History: Gavin Menies and the Chinese Discovery of America
- Spud gun (Wikipedia)
- Tsar Cannon (Wikipedia)
- Queensland floods
- HAARP Conspiracy Theory (Cracked)
- The Christchurch Quake Conspiracy – HAARP (Matthew’s site)
- Silly Beliefs – Ken Ring
- Tsunami bomb NZ’s devastating war secret (NZ Herald)
- Online Red Cross Donations (New Zealand Red Cross) — donate to something worthwhile, if that has to be Brisbane think about whether a poorer country, where tens or hundreds of thousands have been killed, might have a greater need of your charity.
- Medecins Sans Frontieres
- The Premier’s Disaster Relief Appeal — has already received over 123 million dollars.
- 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami (Wikipedia)
- Deee-Lite (Wikipedia)
- The Brain 2, techno rave at the Auckland town hall in January 1991. Good luck finding any useful info about this incredible event on the web, just dribs and drabs here and there.
- Sky Tower (Wikipedia)
- So Many Anti-Gay Bigots, So Many Gay Friends (Dan Savage)
- Ron Mueck (Wikipedia)
- Museum Files $2 Million Suit Against Guy For Taking Pictures There (CrunchGear)
- Some conspiracies turn out to be true
- Zeitgeist: The Movie (Wikipedia)
- Israeli Mossad Hit Squad Completes Mission, But Video Goes Viral (NPR)
- The Karen Silkwood Story (PBS)
- Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko (Wikipedia)
- Litvinenko’s killers used polonium worth $10m to give massive overdose (The Times)
- Vladimir Putin (Wikipedia)
- The Dangers of Journalism in Russia (NPR)
- Happy 10th Birthday To Wikipedia (Slashdot)
- Computer Stolen in Oklahoma City Contains Research To Cure Prostate Cancer
- A Beach, Hasselhoff and Me (Jose’s website)
- Waitomo loos foul image for tourists (NZHerald)
- Anna Faris baffled by vulgar New Zealand men (3 News)
- Penthouse To Create First 3D Porn Channel (CrunchGear)
- La Femme Nikita (IMDb)
- Surgeon fights drink driving charge (NZ Herald)
- Diabetic sex therapy, maybe? Second teacher caught in lesbian romp at James Madison High School fired
- MMP’s support has shot up in a year (NZ Herald)
- Criticism of the Electoral College (Wikipedia)
- Vote swapping (Wikipedia)
- Dear Green Party – the time for Coromandel electorate is now (Tumeke!)
- Apple Chief to Take Leave (The Wall Street Journal)
- Liver Transplant Survival Rate — looks like it’s surprisingly good, as much as 82% after 3 years.
- The Discourse Weekly Show Urban Dictionary Word of the Week
- Robyn broke up with her Secret Boyfriend Christchurch
- Ben Hana AKA “Blanket Man” (Wikipedia)
Follow us on twitter
Dee Lite – Groove is in the Heart
Jacque Fresco NZ Television Interview
Ben Goldacre on placebos and homeopathy
3D With No Glasses
Larry Griswold, Frank Sinatra Show, November 13, 1951