Episode 13, lucky for some. We talk about all sorts, from dolphins to immanentizing the eschaton, delusional parasitosis, amateur carpentry, Blakes 7, and less-than-ideal wifi filters. And a million other things (approximately).
Live show! Live show! Live show!
Tuesday 25th of January at about 8pm (we’ll be more specific on twitter, closer to the time). Be there or be square don’t be there.
Competition winner disannounced!
Su Yin has her shiny new Clickfree Wireless Automatic Backup drive in hand, but the winner of the Huawei IDEOS Android phone hasn’t been in touch, so now I’ve got a new phone for myself.
Rules for the Discourse Weekly Show McDonald’s™ Filter Bounty
- No faking.
- Must really be on the McDonald’s wifi, and have used it to load the page.
- The page must be both super dodgy, and on an established site that would be banned if there was any kind of sense at play behind the filter.
- There’s probably no prize.
- If against all odds there is a prize, it will be terribly disappointing.
Help us out
Please tell a friend to listen to the show, and then tell them you love them before leaning in for a kiss (pause for a moment just before your lips meet for heightened tension, it’ll be really great).
- Discourse guest: Mark Derricutt
- Discourse guest: Ryan Sproull
- Delusional parasitosis (Wikipedia)
- Matchbox sign (Wikipedia)
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, AKA DSMIV (Wikipedia)
- Internet addiction disorder (Wikipedia)
- Ben built a fence (Twitpic)
- Do cows have souls? (Yahoo! Answers)
- Robert Frost in his poem Mending Wall: “Good fences make good neighbours.” (Wikipedia)
- A Pattern Language (Wikipedia)
- Seaside, Florida as used in The Truman Show
- Town of Portmeirion as used in The Prisoner
- The Prisoner (IMDb)
- Blakes 7 (IMDb)
- Blakes 7 : Firefly (TV.com)
- Firefly (IMDb)
- Echo chamber (media) (Wikipedia)
- McDonald’s Wi-Fi block sparks anger (Stuff)
- McDonald’s under fire for blocking gay websites (NZ Herald)
- Storm in a Teacup (Wikipedia)
- Kama Sutra (Wikipedia)
- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Wikipedia)
- Fisting (Wikipedia)
- Tears as chemical signals – smell of female tears affects sexual behaviour of men (Discover Magazine)
- New Zealand English (Wikipedia)
- Vodafone Australia: Mobile security outrage – private details accessible on net (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Elijah Wood to play Frodo in The Hobbit (3News)
- Positively Wellington for better wages (NZ Herald)
- Beer intake doubles (NZ Herald)
- Apple Pulls VLC Player From App Store
- Popular gay TV celeb found castrated in hotel (TVNZ)
- Pronoun (Wikipedia)
- Is The Doctor and incestuous pervert? (Gamma Squad)
- Scientists say dolphins should be treated as ‘non-human persons’ (The Times)
- Unicorn chaser (Urban Dictionary)
- Opo (Te Ara)
- Moko (dolphin) (Wikipedia)
- The Cove (Wikipedia)
- The Cove Trailer (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Dolphins Name Themselves With Whistles, Study Says (National Geographic)
- Dolphin bubble rings (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Octopus Kills Shark (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Honey Badger – The Most Fearless Animal on Earth (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Honey Badger (Wikipedia)
- Mustelid (Wikipedia)
- Trains back on track after two week shutdown (NZ Herald)
- Voluntary student union membership
- The Discourse Weekly Show Urban Dictionary Word of the Week
- Steve Balmer: “Xbox transported, literally transported tens of millions of people into the world of Halo[…]”
- Ryan recommends: The Trip (IMDb), featuring Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan
- Michael Caine does Michael Caine (YouTube) — also embedded below
- This Is How Michael Caine Speaks – Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon – The Trip (YouTube) — also embedded below
- Rob and Steve’s James Bond Impressions – The Trip (YouTube) — also embedded below
Morgan read a few cherry-picked tweets on the show this week, then proceeded to write about himself in the third person in the show notes.
Follow us on twitter
Michael Caine does Michael Caine
This Is How Michael Caine Speaks – Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon – The Trip
Rob and Steve’s James Bond Impressions – The Trip
The Cover Trailer
Octopus Kills Shark
Honey Badger – The Most Fearless Animal on Earth
The Badger Song
Tucker (a dog) plays piano and accompanies himself by singing along
Ghostbusters Multitrack – 14-part solo a cappella
Hamster of Doom